California has strict regulations regarding the employment of minors in the entertainment industry. At a minimum, you must have an entertainment permit to employ minors, which can be obtained at no cost through the State of California’s Department of Labor Standards Enforcement and a teacher must be on set at all times (see our Production Guide for a list of On-Set Teachers).

California Child Labor Code

For entertainment permit application to employ minors, visit:

Local DLSE office:

DLSE - Wage Claims
2115 Civic Center Drive, Room 17
Redding CA 96001 (530) 225-2655

California State Department of Industrial Relations (DIR)

California Child Labor Code

Entertainment Industry Summary Chart - - Age & Work Hours


Procedure for Obtaining Entertainment Work Permit by Minor

Youth & Labor Entertainment Industry Employment



A Minor Consideration


Young Workers' Health and Safety Website